Monday, February 20, 2012

"Season of Death"


The guest book for Grandpa B's memorial service





Flowers for "Dad"





More flowers, Gpa B's boots and tin hat





Picture board of family and friends.




These pictures are a few weeks, out-of-date, but because of recent life circumstances, I am just "tending" to them.


I don't think there is a specific "season of death" but lately there have been SO many different ones that have received their "home call", repeatedly bringing death and dying to mind. Since the beginning of this year (2012), I have attended a funeral or memorial service every Saturday with the exception of 2. As well as some in-between. And 3 of those Saturdays, there were 2 others services taking place nearby. Some of the deaths were expected, some not-so-much.


I suppose with communication and technology the way it is today, we hear more often of happenings than we used to, but as I think back on even the last month and all the deaths that have happened in other places (outside of Oregon). Servants of God, young and old, saints, young and old. Accidents, illness, disease, old-age. Just this last weekend, a faithful man, I knew, living on a WA conv grounds passed away. Parkinsons took him prisoner 25 years ago....now he is free from that prison.


Death is a part of life.


It has been good for me to consider again my own end, mortality. Yesterday in morning meeting, we heard that the way of God is never more narrow than at the point of death when NOTHING goes with us but our soul. In that light, I want to search my heart and soul...daily!


A few:


*Uncle D....served many years in God's ministry, foreign countries, loving souls of men. At his service, "I'll go where you want me to go, Dear Lord" was beautifully sung by 6 men. D chose the hymns/songs to be sung at his service. Beautiful spirit.




*In my Sunday morning meeting, there is a couple of whom have both had to say good bye to their father (just months apart). R's father passed away last fall and D's father passed a month ago. I didn't know either of their fathers, but my heart was affected because I know R&D and cannot imagine what it must be like to say good bye to someone so close.


*There was a local man who struggled with substance abuse, but had been "clean" for 130 days. On the Saturday night before Portland special meeting, he went to bed with the intention and desire to attend sp. meeting the next day. The next morning, his brother went in to wake him and found him dead with his Bible open beside him. The thought at his funeral was that "perhaps God took him on a good day". I love that thought. God's thoughts toward us are of peace and hope.....not willing that any should perish.


*Alzheimers and complications with it, took a lady that I have VERY fond childhood memories of. She and her husband, new acquaintances to me at the time, saw a great need in my family and were moved to help meet the need. I will NEVER forget what they gave up for my family's sake!


*The last one I will share about is a man whom I had only met a couple of times, and with each occasion, he had such a warm, welcoming smile and spirit. This death probably had the most effect on me because I am so close to his family. I personally watched the grieving process take hold of a son, saying good bye to a father, granddaughter and grandson saying good bye to a grandfather. People I am very close to, losing a loved one but not wishing him back to a life of suffering. One thought that was shared by many and at his funeral: when he was visiting with you, he made YOU feel special. He always saw the good in everybody, because that is what he was looking for.


And so, death leaves it's impressions on all of us, in one way or another. For this, I'm thankful.






Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Melina said...

Thank you for sharing. Very touching!

Diana said...

My thoughts too have been on recent deaths. I feel so encouraged by those who appear "ready." Who can say, if it's my time, it's okay. Just last week, a man my age sat reading his bible before Sunday a.m. mtg, wasn't feeling well, but quietly said, I'm not afraid to die. About an hour later, he was in eternity. I would like that serenity.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. (We went to N&K's union mtg when they lived down here. A man strong in the strength of gentleness.)

MrsRitzB said...

Thanks for sharing. <3

SunshineStateWilson4 said...

Good thoughts! Death brings sorrow for the ones left behind but it also causes us to lift our eyes again in thankfulness for our hope of eternity and for the example of faithful lives.