Saturday, September 28, 2013

"It's a positive thing"

My brother was recently in an accident at work.  He was burned over 40% of his body (arms, back, bum) with 200 degree water/steam.  

"I'm just thankful it was water and not one of the chemicals"

He has suffered severe shock, pain, temperature irregularities, scrapings (scraping dead skin off the burns), surgeries, etc.

"I passed out on the nurse from the pain"

He's been in a great burn center for 2.5 weeks now.  The first two weeks, unable to communicate or comprehend much due to the levels of pain medications.

"These pain medications make me hallucinate, I see myself walking on the walls."

Not able to do anything for himself.  NOTHING.  Stuck in a special bed for burn patients, flat out for several days at a time.

"All my dignity is lost" 

Out in front of him stretches weeks......not days, but weeks of hospital living while his body continues to heal and the grafting process continues.

"I am choosing to take less pain medication now so that it is as effective as it can be after the next grafting surgeries"

Tonight I asked him how he was feeling.

"It's a positive thing."

Being unsure of what he meant, I asked "what are you speaking of?"

"The accident.  It's a positive thing."

"In what way do you mean?" I asked.

"I would've never known the bond and connection in the family of God if I had continued the way I was in my own little world/life.  I value God's family more than I ever have."

Am I truly willing for ANY experience that helps me learn and grasp the value and depth of the greatness of God?  Even if it means excruciating pain and suffering?

I hope so.
It's what life is about.


8 comments:

A. Mekvold said...

Wow Krista! I don't know if he remembers me but if you would tell him he's in my thoughts and prayers, i'd appreciate it. It is amazing how thankful you can be for a horrible situation when you turn to God to get through it.

Sherrie said...

Hi Krista, I am Marissa's sister-in-law, one of Peter's sisters. Please know our thoughts are with all of you. I don't know where your brother is - if we can be of a help we would be glad to. So sorry, I just happened to check Marissa's old blog and read yours. Do take care now. Sherrie

Krista said...

Thank you A. and Sherrie! He is doing well....at least, as well as possible. He is Nebraska.

Sherrie said...

Thoughts Sherrie

Angela said...

Wow, thinking of your brother and you and your family!! What a thing and we just had a first hand experience where family was in an accident and I think the same feeling came from it! Isn't God's family incredible?!! Hope he continues to heal well!

Diana said...

It's an amazing thing when the positives outweigh the negatives in a "negative" experience - I'm so happy that he is able to see the positives! Also so happy for a lil chat with him and to hear in his voice that things are looking better!

Sherrie said...

Just thinking of all of you again.

Krista said...

Thank you, Sherrie. I am back here in Nebraska with Brice. He is doing well, though still a ways to go.